HDI PCB or high-density interconnected PCBs are a part of every technical product now. Whether it be in industry or consumer electronics, these high-density boards fit everywhere to make our life better. Compared to standard PCBs, HDI PCBs give greater freedom in designing a circuited board. So, within the same dimension of a PCB, more electronic components can be placed easily. It improves the signal transfer capability and reduces signal loss.
Design and Comparison to Standard PCB
HDI PCB has several layers stacked over one other. These layers connect through vias. Standard PCBs use mechanical drills, while the high-density PCBs require laser drills to create vias.
The interconnection between layers using blind and buried vias in high-density PCBs provides better stability over plated through vias in standard PCB.
A properly functioning PCB requires microvias, drilling hierarchy, and stack-up arrangement in a predefined order with proper care. PCBWay, with its refined techniques and abundant experience, manufactures the finest HDI PCBs with optimal cost and maximum quality.
HDI PCB Benefits
- It improves flexibility for the engineers to create a better design. Furthermore, the components can now be placed on both sides of the raw PCB, if desired.
- PCBWay uses via in pad and blinds via technology to fabricate HDI PCBs that allow them to place small components close to each other without getting short-circuited.
- HDI PCBs contain microvias of 0.006 or less in diameter. And with the use of finer conducting lines and higher connection pad density, the weight and dimensions of the product reduce significantly.
- The denser trace routing makes the signal transfer at a faster rate. It reduces the interference due to inductance and capacitance. And hence, the overall performance of the PCB improves.
1. Smartphones, Smartwatches, Laptops, Computers require the use of HDI PCBs for integrating the complex circuitry in a sleek design.
2. Medical and military applications require the transfer of signals at high speed with utmost accuracy. The high-density PCBs find their perfect role in these applications.
3. Aerospace and Automotive manufacturers always try to reduce the size of their design for better performance. High-density PCBs is the first thought that comes to their mind for reliable performance.
The applications don’t stop here. But each electronic gadget with new-tech uses HDI PCBs for outstanding performance. With the escalation of technology, high-density PCBs are necessary to meet the requirements for a better future.
Manufacturing Capability of PCBWay
Depending on the application, PCBWay can easily manufacture high-density PCBs with layers ranging from 4 to 30. The following table shows all the details of an HDI PCB fabricated in PCBWay.
|Number of Layers||4-30 layer|
|Quality Grade||IPC 6012 Class 2,IPC 6012 Class 3|
|Material||Tg 140°C FR4, Tg 150°C FR4, Tg 170°C FR4, Special material|
|Min. Hole Size||0.15mm-0.3mm|
|Solder Mask||Green, Red, Yellow, Blue, White, Black, Purple, Matte Black, Matte green|
|Silkscreen||White, Black, Yellow, Blue|
|Surface Finish||Immersion gold, OSP, Hard gold, Immersion Silver|
|Build time||5-10 days|
|Lead time||2-3 days|