A PCB generally consists of three layers. A conductive copper layer at the top, a dielectric layer in between, and a layer of a substrate at the bottom. Standard PCBs have a substrate layer made of fiberglass, ceramic, polymers, or any other non-metal core. An ample amount of PCBs uses FR-4 as the substrate. But Aluminum PCBs use an Aluminum substrate.
Structure of Aluminum PCB
Circuit Copper Layer
This layer transmits signals over the entire PCB board. The movement of charged particles generates heat. This heat is transferred to the Aluminum substrate. Which dissipates it efficiently.
This layer is also known as the dielectric layer. It is made of materials that are poor conductors of electricity. It absorbs the heat generated in the above layer. And transfer it to the Aluminum substrate below it.
The substrate acts as a foundation for the PCB. It firmly holds the components above it. By changing the characteristics of the substrate, the performance of PCB varies. For example, a rigid substrate provides strength and durability to the PCB board. While a flexible substrate opens up more design options.
The aluminum substrate is used in power electronics-based applications where high thermal dissipation is required. Due to its good thermal conductivity, it keeps heat away from vital electronic components. Thus ensuring minimal circuit damage.
Advantages of Aluminum PCB
- The heat dissipation capacity of Aluminum PCBs is far better than standard PCBs.
- Aluminum PCBs provide more strength and durability. As compared to ceramic and fiberglass-based PCBs.
- It seems ironic, but aluminum-based PCBs are lighter. As compared to standard PCBs.
- Thermal expansion and contraction of PCB components get reduce by using Aluminum PCB.
- PCBs made of Aluminum are environmentally friendly. It is non-toxic and recyclable. It does not create any harmful impacts on our planet.
- The assembling process of Aluminum PCB is easy than that of standard PCB.
Applications of Aluminum PCBs
- They are used in Power supply devices like switching regulators, DC/AC converter, SW regulator.
- In power modules, they are used in inverters, solid-state relays, and rectifier bridges.
- In automobiles, they are used in an electronic regulator, ignition, power supply controller, etc.
- They are the perfect choice for amplifiers. Balanced amplifier, audio amplifier, power amplifier, operational amplifier, high-frequency amplifier.
- They are used in the transmitting and filtering circuit.
- They are used to make the CPU board. And power supply of computers.
- Electric motors require a high current for their operation. In industries, motor driver circuits use Aluminum PCB.
- These are a popular choice for LED applications due to their energy-saving capability.
Aluminum PCBs at PCBWay
PCBWay is one of the finest manufacturers of Aluminum PCBs. To increase the overall performance of the product, they provide a thermal clad layer to the Aluminum PCB. It dissipates heat in a highly efficient manner. For high power and tight tolerance-based applications, Aluminum Backed PCB is the perfect choice among project makers.
Considering parameters like the coefficient of thermal expansion, thermal conductivity, strength, hardness, weight, and cost. An aluminum plate is an ideal choice for your project. You can modify your PCB substrate. PCBWay offers different Aluminum plates like 6061, 5052, 1060, and many more.