A drone is a modern piece of the aerial vehicle that is capable of recording visual and audio data, mapping locations, using firearms on targets, and much more. Drones are becoming very popular in recent years. Earlier drone technology was only known to the military but now a common man like you can build a drone at home.
If you are someone whose interest piques by the mention of drones then you might like to build one. For all enthusiasts like yourselves, we have prepared a list of the 8 best books on drones.
List of 8 Best Drone Books
- Best for Beginners– Build a Drone
- Best overall– DIY Drones for the Evil Genius
- DRONES: The Ultimate Do-It-Yourself Manual
- Drones (The Ultimate Guide)
- Drones For Dummies
- Make: Drones: Teach an Arduino to Fly
- How to build a quadcopter drone: A complete guide to building a radio-controlled quadcopter
- FPV Flight Dynamics: Mastering Acro Mode on High-Performance Drones
Interested in making a drone all by yourself? Then this book is the perfect step-by-step guide. With just a few inexpensive parts you can build and fly your own drone.
Key Features of the book:
- Drone assembly
- Drone mechanics
- Working principle of drones
- Testing the drone for flight
- Choosing the right parts for your desired drone
Ideal for: Absolute Beginners
Not ideal for: Experienced Engineers
Number of pages: 82
Number of chapters: 7
Learn A to Z basics about drones with this book. What are drones, what components are present in one, and how to build one as well as fly it is all covered in the book along with other interesting information.
Key Features of the book:
- Unmanned radio control vehicles
- Aerial photography
- Flying a multirotor drone
- Five things to know before buying your first drone
Ideal for: Budding drone enthusiasts
Not ideal for: Advanced Readers
Number of pages: 106
Number of chapters: 10
Looking for a must-have pre-flight checklist? Then this is the book for you. Leaving no stone unturned, this book takes you right into the world of drones and acquaints you on how you can fly your own drone soon.
- Easy to understand the English language
- User-friendly instructions
- Ways to use a drone
- Drone Etiquettes
- Laws and regulations governing the consumer drone usage
- Capturing videos with drones
Ideal for: Absolute Beginners, including children
Not ideal for: Enthusiasts who want to be up-to-date with the latest drone technology
Number of pages: 254
Number of chapters: 17
Do you want to design and build a pilot custom drone? Then this book will definitely come in handy. Not only that but you will become an expert pilot by learning the tips and tricks from this great book.
- Add personalized features to your drone
- Uses inexpensive parts
- Basics of Aerospace engineering
- Add GPS, virtual reality goggles, and first-person view to your drone
- FAA licensing
- Artificial intelligence and autonomous flight
Ideal for: Serious hobbyists who desire a hands-on learning approach
Not ideal for: Beginners who just want to learn the theoretical basics
Number of pages: 177
Number of chapters: 8
If you want to build a drone and program it with Arduino then this is the best you will get. Apply your Arduino programming skills to build a smart drone.
- Small, medium, and large drones
- Improve performance of a Hubsan X4C
- Build an X4Wii drone
- Add power, sensors, and radio to your drones
- Use Syma X5 frame and Arduino Teensy 3.2 to build a drone
- Use the S500 frame kit to build a drone
Ideal for: Arduino enthusiasts who are interested in robotics and drones
Not ideal for: People who cannot program an Arduino
Number of pages: 315
Number of chapters: 20
You will be able to do what the title of this book says and much more. Who doesn’t like to get add-on knowledge by learning drone-building skills? Purchase this book and you won’t regret it.
- History of drones in the military
- Impact of drones on everyday life
- Learn ins-and-outs of how drones can be created and handled
- Fully colored book
- Contains step-by-step directions
- Safe ways to maintain drones
Ideal for: People who want to either buy or build a drone
Not ideal for: Casual hobbyist
Number of pages: 217
Number of chapters: 10
Interested in Quadcopters? What’s best than to learn all about them from an ideal reference book? Read along to find out how to build a radio-controlled Quadcopter.
- Complete guide to tools, materials, and components required to build a Quadcopter
- Step-by-step illustrated examples
- multicopter flight principles
- Tips for your first flight
- Radio transmitter control
- Calibrating flight controller
Ideal for: Multicopter enthusiasts
Not ideal for: Basic drone learners
Number of pages: 93
Number of chapters: 11
First Person View (FPV) is getting very common in drone technology. It is exciting and gives a better viewing angle. This book is ideal to learn all about it.
- Graphically intensive book including stick schematics, 3D diagrams, photos, and infographics
- Actionable strategies
- 3 disciplines of FPV
- 19 freestyle tricks
- 31 fundamental maneuvers
- Chase mobile subjects with your drone, and much more
Ideal for: Advanced Readers
Not ideal for: Absolute Beginners
Number of pages: 278
Number of chapters: 30
Conclusion – Best Books on Drones
Learning a new thing can be daunting, especially if it’s something as complex as drones. But worry not. Our well-researched list will give you all that you need to start and expand your knowledge.
Our personal favorite is Build a Drone by Barry Davies as it has everything a newbie will like to know about drones.
If you are looking for a little advanced book on drones then we suggest you go with FPV Flight Dynamics: Mastering Acro Mode on High-Performance Drones by Christian M. Mollica.