Last updated on March 24th, 2023 at 01:38 pm
CR2450 and CR2032 are non-rechargeable button batteries of the CR family series. Both batteries have an output voltage of 3V and the same chemical composition. But, in spite of having the same nominal voltage, they can’t be used as an equivalent of each other. In this article, we will discuss CR2450 vs CR2032 differences in detail.
How are CR2450 and CR2032 different?
The CR2450 and CR2032 differ in capacity, diameter, thickness, weight, and operating temperature range. The difference in specifications is listed in the table below:
|-20°C to +50°C.
|-30°C to +60°C
From the table, the following conclusions can be drawn:
- CR2450’s battery capacity is nearly double of CR2032. If you are designing a project that requires more current, preferring CR2450 would be better.
- The diameter of CR2032 is less than CR2450. If you prefer a snap-fit design and are ready to compromise the battery capacity, select CR2032.
- The same situation arises in the case of battery thickness. CR2032 is thinner than CR2450.
- CR2032 also weighs less than CR2450. Using a CR2032 is preferable for lightweight applications.
Can CR2450 be replaced with CR2032?
No, the CR2450 cannot be replaced with CR2032. Even though they have the same voltage and chemical composition, due to differences in their dimensions, they cannot replace each other.
The battery compartment of any application has a default size. The CR2450 and CR2032 have a difference of 4 mm in diameter and 1.8 mm in thickness. So, inserting one battery into another battery’s compartment is practically difficult.
Similar FAQs on CR batteries
CR2450 vs CR2032 – Similar features
Being two different batteries, they also have some similar features. These are listed in the table below:
- It must be noted that in spite of the same battery chemistry, the composition of Lithium is different in both batteries. The CR2450 has a higher percentage of lithium than the CR2032. This results in variation in the capacity of the two-button batteries.
- The lifespan of the 2032 and 2450 batteries is 8-10 years when stored at room temperature.
- The lifespan of the 2450 battery is 8-10 years when stored at room temperature.
For a load of 15K ohms, a CR2032 battery can last up to 1300 hours, when used continuously providing 0.19mA current.
For a load of 7.5K ohms, a CR2450 battery can last more than 1600 hours, when used continuously providing 0.39mA current.
Conclusion – CR2450 vs CR2032
CR2450 and CR2032 are both primary coin cell batteries. They both have a nominal voltage of 3V. But the dimension of each one is different. Due to this, they are not equivalent to each other. Also, the capacity of CR2450 is more than CR2032. Hence it can be used in devices like digital cameras, LED flashlights, etc. that require a steady power supply.