Arduino is a single-board microcontroller, intended for physical computing. It has an open-source software platform and a large user community. Arduino boards can read inputs from sensors, control motors, LEDs, etc, and also connect to the internet.
The Arduino Starter Kits are a great way to dive into electronics, especially if you are a beginner with no electronics or programming experience. There are several Arduino Starter Kits available in the market which offer a wide variety of combinations and components. However, not every kit you see out there might fit your needs.
Every Arduino Starter Kit includes an Arduino board, along with various components and instructions that allow you to start creating projects immediately. In this article, we will take a look at some of the best Arduino Starter Kits for Beginners in 2022.
“Our top suggestions“:
The overall best Arduino kit from our list is the SunFounder Project Complete Starter Kit. It contains detailed information about electronic components, their use, and their working principles. All projects start with an introduction to the circuit diagram and detailed connection information is provided. The author also provides additional online material for your reference.
The Official Arduino Starter Kit is the best Arduino kit for beginners as it comes with programming basics by explaining the codes of projects in simpler ways. It is user-friendly and grants exceptional connectivity. The kit also covers basic theory on electronics, making it ideal for beginners with less programming knowledge. Besides, the kit allows you to carry out excellent projects with the provided components.
We found that when it comes to project instruction manuals what users expect is – component listing, usage, and features of each component, circuit diagrams for projects, a clear explanation of the project, etc. We have succeeded in finding an Arduino kit that has all of it. The Kuman For Arduino Complete Starter Kit will not fail you in this regard.
GAR Monster Starter Kit is the best advanced Arduino kit. It not only is the largest Arduino kit in the world but is also very versatile. Beginners to advanced users can benefit from it. It has several components that are necessary for creating advanced Arduino projects. You don’t need to look anywhere else.
This is an excellent Arduino kit for beginners and hobbyists. It comes with 100+ components and an instruction booklet with 15 projects. It provides a good working knowledge of the basics of electronics and Arduino.
The kit is well constructed to give users an excellent platform to experiment. The 170-page long given project book covers basic electronics theory while providing an insight into the basics of programming through a vivid explanation of project codes.
- High-quality components
- Can be used to build other projects besides the 15 given in the booklet
- Well-written book that is easy to follow
- More expensive than other similar kits
- The kit does not come with any programming software, although you can still download it free from the official Arduino website with complete instructions on how to install it
It contains 190 electronic components and parts. The kit starts with easy assembly instructions before moving to complex lessons. Detailed step-by-step instructions make this kit ideal for beginners. The kit is also perfect for experts in programming and electronics.
- One can make up to 100 Arduino projects with this kit
- Fully illustrated and colorful instruction manual
- Suitable for hobbyists, beginners, and experts in programming and electronics
- The instruction manual teaches you nothing about programming, all you have to do is upload pre-written without understanding how it actually works
- The kit is not kid friendly
This kit is perfect for advanced users and hobbyists that want to get something more from Arduino. It comes with 200+ components of premium quality with 63 varieties. Along with the basic components such as potentiometer, LEDs, and resistors, it also contains a set of sensors and modules such as the ultrasonic sensor, gyroscope module, accelerometer, RFID reader, motion sensor, and water level sensor.
There are 35+ project lessons that you can carry out. The manual has codes and pictures for already assembled circuits making the projects easy to follow. While the components are complex for beginners, implementing them is not a challenge once a user is done with basic projects.
The kit’s items are stored in a neat plastic box where everything is organized. The package also comes with an additional small box for storing widgets.
- The kit provides an open-source electronics platform
- It features easy-to-use software and hardware
- A free PDF tutorial on the CD
- It comes with an excellent package with a clear component listing
- Great value for the price
- The components are so flimsy and difficult to connect especially for children below the age of 15 years
- The microcontroller MEGA 2650 in the kit is not an original Arduino but a clone from ELEGOO
This is the second kit from ELEGOO on this list. Their kits are super beginner friendly and hence are famous in the market. The kit contains high-quality materials and is available at a lower price than other Arduino kits. This combination makes the kit desirable and offers the best value for the price.
With this kit, users get a CD containing a PDF file that has 20+ tutorials.
- The kit comes at an affordable price
- The kit has upgradable options
- The kit has some components that are slightly complex for beginners
This kit is one of the top sellers in the category of Arduino kits. The kit also offers detailed tutorials, step-by-step instructions, source codes, and project circuits, all in the form of PDF files.
The components of the kit are placed in a convenient storage box that helps users to remain organized. The kit features excellent hardware papers that are made out of fine and flexible material, making its performance fantastic.
This kit is ideal for users interested in robotics. It helps in comprehending wiring, electronic work, and the inner workings of project circuits.
- The kit is budget-friendly and kid-friendly for children above the age of 10 years
- The kit is suitable for beginners, professional lab engineers, electronics engineering students, and experienced hobbyists
- The Arduino in the kit is a clone and not an official set
- The kit lacks some vital components like the servo motor
An Arduino starter kit that uses the Arduino UNO R3, MEGA, and NANO boards. The kit comes with a detailed PDF that contains 28 lessons with sample code and detailed graphical instructions. The components are pre-soldered completely eliminating the need for soldering. This makes the kit extremely beginner friendly. The kit is packaged in a neat and organized storage box to quickly store the parts and components. The divider plates in the box make separating components quite easy.
The kit contains a servo motor, a USB cable, an active buzzer, and a photoresistor. It can be easily upgraded by adding a few sensors and you are all set to explore more possibilities and advanced projects.
- It is cheaper than most Arduino kits
- Electrical components come in anti-static bags to prevent damage
- The kit does not have capacitors
- It doesn’t contain an AC power adapter
This Arduino kit is compatible with the Arduino Uno R3 board. It comes with 250+ components including 1602 I2C LCDs, Motors, and Ultrasonic Modules. Users can make up to 42 projects with this kit. The kit is properly documented on a DVD.
It contains information right from setting up the board to the completion of each project. Detailed information about each component along with its working principles is clearly explained in the DVD. Each lesson contains a circuit diagram and a complete explanation of the code used. The kit also offers access to online material for learning the basics of C programming and Scratch.
- The kit is inexpensive
- Technical support available from SunFounder staff
- The explanations in the PDF files that come along with the kit are a bit complicated
- The Arduino provided in the kit is not original but a clone from SunFounder
Looking to gift your kid an electronics kit? Take a look at this amazing Arduino kit by KEYESTUDIO. It is compatible with Arduino IDE. It is kid friendly and suitable for beginners. It will provide excellent programming knowledge through 28 project tutorials.
The project tutorials are very detailed. They get you started with Arduino with comprehensive coding explanations and teach you to add different libraries. You can do several creative STEM projects.
- Clearly labeled components kept separate from each other to avoid mixing and confusion
- 21 cartoon cards displaying concepts in electronics, coding, and engineering.
- The kit lacks advanced components since it is kid friendly
This kit is without a doubt the largest Arduino kit available online. It has everything you will ever need to program an Arduino. It has not one, not two but 3 Arduino boards along with ESP boards i.e, UNO R3, MEGA 2560, NANO V3, ESP32, and ESP8266. The kit can be used by beginners but is perfect for advanced users.
You can build excellent, advanced IoT projects with this kit. It has advanced sensors like RFID Card-Key Reader, Ultrasonic Sensor, Real Time Clock, Impact Switch, 3-Axis Accelerometer, LCD, Relay, Servo Motor, and Stepper Motor.
- Free access to the GAR Dropbox Cloud
- Customer support along with a lifetime replacement guarantee on all parts
- Very expensive than most available Arduino kits
- Not very beginner friendly as beginners are often unaware of how to use several components from the kit
Factors To Consider before purchasing an Arduino Starter Kit
By now you might have chosen your perfect Arduino Starter Kit or you might be confused about which you should go for. It’s perfectly fine to feel confused as most kits have a lot of similar components and projects. Let us help you out there by suggesting what factors you will consider before finalizing to buy an Arduino Starter Kit.
The list of components
Every kit has different types and numbers of components. The list of components will determine how many projects you can carry out. Also, which projects are possible with the available components? If you are a DIYer then you might want to get a kit with a large number of components. But if you have just started to explore Arduino then a kit with a limited number of components will be good to get you started.
Now you might be wondering how an Arduino kit can be flexible. A flexible Arduino kit means a kit that can be easily upgraded or modified by adding external components or connecting the existing components to different inputs and outputs. Make sure your kit is flexible so that if you decide to carry out a different project then you don’t have to buy an entirely new kit. You can simply make additions to the existing one.
Several Arduino kits are available in the market. But not all are worth the cost. Get one that fits your budget. Do not overspend on kits as you can simply upgrade it later on as your requirements increase.
Arduino kits are an excellent way to get your hands dirty. We humans always tend to learn more by doing rather than merely watching or reading. If you really want to build things with Arduino then buying a kit is an excellent choice. Get one that is meeting your needs, is flexible, and pocket friendly.