Raspberry Pi boards have huge applications in multiple fields. Programming with Raspberry Pi is taught in several computer sciences and information technology courses. But if you are not enrolled in one of these courses you can always opt to learn about Raspberry Pi from the thousands of books available on the market.
For all the beginners, we have compiled a list of the 11 best Raspberry Pi Books.
“Our top picks based on Raspberry Pi applications“:
Best Overall- Master your Raspberry Pi in 30 days by Patrick Fromaget
This is the overall best Raspberry pi book and is a great resource for anyone looking to get the most out of their Raspberry Pi. The book contains 30 chapters with increasing complexity. Each chapter explains a basic concept to build your Raspberry Pi knowledge. The book covers the basics of setting up the Pi to more advanced topics like programming and Hardware interfaces.
It then leads you through Raspbian – the operating systems, programming, and other operating systems, and then ends with projects having step-by-step guides. It is the best way to consistently learn Raspberry Pi and its applications.
- This book has exercises at the end of most chapters to test your understanding of the topic.
- This book has multiple projects that you can easily conduct on your own.
- You cannot understand the next chapter unless you have read the previous one.
Best for beginners – Raspberry Pi For Dummies by Sean McManus and Mike Cook
Raspberry Pi For Dummies is the most liked book on Raspberry Pi by beginners. It includes everything from and in between setting up Raspberry Pi, downloading the operating system, editing photos, playing music and videos, programming with Python and Scratch, etc.
This book will also teach you to connect Raspberry Pi with external devices like a keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. With its easy-to-follow instructions and step-by-step explanations, the book is sure to help you get the most out of your Raspberry Pi experience.
- Along with the basics of Raspberry Pi, this book also focuses on programming with Scratch and Python.
- This book is only useful to absolute beginners. Once you pass the beginner stage you will find that this book is extremely basic.
Best for projects – 20 Easy Raspberry Pi Projects by Rui Santos and Sara Santos
If you are looking for a book dedicated to some good project ideas, then you must check this out. A total of 20 projects are explained in a detailed manner. The projects in the book range from building a basic LED circuit to creating a web server, and each one includes clear instructions and diagrams.
In addition, the book includes a section on troubleshooting, in case you run into any difficulties along the way. This book is perfect for kids, parents, educators, and hobbyists.
- This book provides complete start-to-end guidance for every project.
- You should have a basic understanding of Raspberry Pi to follow the given instructions.
Official Pi Book: The Official Raspberry Pi Beginner’s Guide by Gareth Halfacree
If you are looking to get started with the Raspberry Pi, then this book is for you. The book uses extremely simple language which is easy to understand. It teaches you the basics of setting up a Raspberry Pi, including connecting it to peripherals and installing operating systems.
It also covers some popular applications like media center and home automation. It is illustrated with pictures and graphics in appropriate places to help you understand the concepts better.
- This book is suitable for all age groups.
- The book is written in a simple manner with good practical examples.
- If you are looking to study Linux in depth then this is not the book for you.
Similar articles: Best Books on…
- 15 Best Books to Master Embedded Systems
- 17 Best Arduino Books for Beginners (Application-based)
- 11 Best Books on 3D Printing Every Beginner Should Start With
- 11 Best Books on Robotics
- 9 Best Electrical Engineering Books for Beginners
- 11 Best IoT Books For Beginners (Hand-picked)
- 9 Best Books On Home Automation
Best for Pi-Python: Programming the Raspberry Pi by Simon Monk
Programming the Raspberry Pi by Simon Monk is also known as Getting Started with Python. This book focuses on two important technological aspects – hardware and programming. The hardware part covers the basics of Raspberry Pi, its working, and its functions. While the programming part introduces you to Python and covers how to write programs in Python for the Raspberry Pi.
- The book is well-written and easier to understand than the other books available on the market.
- This book covers very little about actual working on Raspberry Pi. It mainly focuses on Python.
Best for Kids- Raspberry Pi For Kids by Richard Wentk
Raspberry Pi For Kids is an introductory book for Raspberry Pi. The book is packed with full-color illustrations and clear, concise explanations of everything from setting up the hardware to writing code. The best part about this book is the step-by-step guide for building projects like games and websites.
The book uses kid-friendly language and examples to make complex concepts easy to understand. Even if you’ve never written a line of code before, by the end of this book you’ll be able to create your own games and programs.
- Suitable for kids and adults unaccustomed to technology.
- This book only covers older versions of Raspberry Pi. The latest versions are not introduced in the book.
Make: Getting Started With Raspberry Pi by Matt Richardson and Shawn Wallace
Getting Started With Raspberry Pi by Matt Richardson and Shawn Wallace gives a brief introduction to the fastest-selling computer in the whole world. Yes, we are talking about Raspberry Pi here. The book begins with an overview of the Raspberry Pi and its capabilities.
It then guides you through the process of setting up the Raspberry Pi, including installing the operating system and connecting to the Internet. Once the Raspberry Pi is set up, you can use it for a variety of projects, such as building a web server, creating a media center, or playing classic video games.
- This book is an ideal guide for beginners as it covers all the basic information about Raspberry Pi.
- Though it covers the basics of Raspberry pi in detail, the book lacks sufficient information about the basics of Python.
Learning Computer Architecture with Raspberry Pi by Eben Upton
Learning Computer Architecture with Raspberry Pi is co-authored by the co-creator of Raspberry Pi – Eben Upton. He is the best person to learn about Raspberry Pi from. This book will provide you with the expertise that you need to master Raspberry Pi.
The book has separate chapters on processors, electronic memory, non-volatile storage, operating systems, audio, 3-D graphics, and Ethernet respectively. In addition, it includes a number of hands-on projects that you can use to gain a better understanding of the concepts presented in the book.
- This book includes all that you will ever want to know about Raspberry Pi.
- The last few chapters of this book could be challenging to understand if you do not have a thorough understanding of the subject.
Coding: Raspberry Pi & Python by Leonard Eddison
Coding: Raspberry Pi & Python is a guide to coding with the Raspberry Pi, written for beginners of all ages. The first few chapters explain the basic concepts, including variables, loops, and conditionals. It then moves on to more advanced topics such as working with files, networking, and creating graphical user interfaces.
Throughout the book, the author includes tips and tricks for using the Raspberry Pi, as well as a variety of example programs to illustrate key concepts.
- Perfect for beginners who want to learn to program with Python and Raspberry Pi.
- This book contains a lot of grammatical errors which makes the text difficult to understand.
Raspberry Pi 3: From Beginner to pro
This book is an essential guide for anyone who wants to get the most out of their Raspberry Pi 3. The book starts with the basics, providing an overview of the Raspberry Pi 3 and its capabilities. After that, it moves on to the topics such as the process of setting up their device and connecting it to the internet.
In the next few chapters, the book covers various projects like gaming, creating a media center, making a smart mirror, using the camera module, photo frame projects, etc. The clear and concise instructions given by the author, make it easy for even absolute beginners to get up and running with the Raspberry Pi 3.
- This book consists of innovative projects to try out with your Raspberry Pi 3.
- The contents of this book are only limited to Raspberry Pi 3 and its lower versions.
Summary – Best Raspberry pi book
So, these were some of the best Raspberry pi books for beginners to get started with Raspberry Pi. We believe that “Master your Raspberry Pi in 30 days” is overall the best book on Raspberry Pi if you are looking to learn about it in depth. But if you just want to get acquainted with a few concepts then “Raspberry Pi For Dummies by Sean McManus and Mike Cook” is the best book for you. But if you just want to focus on the project ideas then you must try “20 Easy Raspberry Pi Projects by Rui Santos and Sara Santos”.